Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Serge Lutens



Uh-oh. I seem to have found a very expensive new lemming. I was a little concerned when I had ordered samples of Serge Lutens perfumes from The Perfumed Court, but now I'm in trouble. The samples (Chergui, Bois et musc, and Fleurs d'Orangeur) arrived yesterday and from the two I've given an honest try, I'm in love. So I pre-face this with the fact that I am a perfume newbie and I suck at explaining perfumes but I will do my best. I also wanted to note that I was quite impressed with the size of the TPC vials. I was expecting a small tiny cheapo vial..the type you get at perfume counters..but these are bigger than expected (or maybe it's an optical illusion?) and very nice looking..like mini mini mini beer bottle looking things.

I tried Bois et Musc first. Opening notes are quite nice and un-offensive. Slightly powdery, floral..slightly sweet, soft and very feminine about this perfume. I think I also detect something slightly woodsy in the mix as well. There's something in there that I don't particularly LOVE but don't really hate either, I think it's the powder, but like I said, it's a very un-offensive smell to my nose. I'm not particularly fond of powdery scents, but holy moley the dry down on this is AMAZING!!! Very "your skin" smelling. I can't describe how the dry down smells, but it's very soft and comforting. LOVES! Unfortunately this is one of the non-export perfumes, which means it's only available in Paris in the bell jar as shown in above picture. Fortunately, there are ways around it, but you will be paying a bit more..or less depending on how you look at it. Shipping and handling vs going to Paris yourself.


Next I gave Chergui a go. It is described as having notes of: honey, musk, incense, tobacco leaf, hay sugar, amber, iris, rose and sandalwood. Initially I wasn't liking this one at first blush, very spicy, smokey and woodsy. I do smell green-ness..kinda like a tea leaves kinda smell. Initially there's this very masculine scent about this perfume, but it's tempered by something that makes it quite feminine. I can't seem to put my finger on what note does that though...perhaps the sweetness of honey? There's also something a little powdery to this as well. To my untrained nose, I don't really smell floral in this at all. Once again, the dry down to this is amazing! Very creamy, comforting, sweet and warm. Thankfully this is part of the export line and is thus easier to aquire.

Ok. So the whole export and non-export thing is very confusing and I think it gets even more confusing because within the export lines there's something to do with the lable colors. I am not even going to attempt to explain all this because I am not quite sure myself. If you really care to know, http://sergelutens.blogspot.com/ has a comprehensive list of all all things Serge Lutens. (I'm not affiliated, yadda yadda yadda).

10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for mentioning perfumed court-I completely forgot all about it!

    ps:ordered the newest of the wrf deeper colors in #07 & it was waaay dark, like a huge jump from #5 (since #6 is more pink based). It was like nc40-nc50 with nothing in between. I thought maybe I could work it once summer comes, but no dice.

    So today it went back, unfortunately Korres can't do exchanges yet (I would've got another #5) so I had to get my $ back. =(
    I'm not one who returns....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww darn. Sorry the Korres didn't work out for you :( Hopefully #5 works for you though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. #5 isn't bad at all, I have it on here...

    http://fablog.facefab.com/2009/06/i-did-what-i-said-i-wasnt-going-to-do.html

    I thought maybe #7 would be closer to my summer skin (according to the online swatch-bah), which didn't turn out to be the case.
    #5 matches me pretty good with no extra tan, in the summer I have to add a powder or a bit of extra bronzer to make it work.

    Overall though, I really like the formulation!
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opps forgot to do the html tags for that, lol.

    Korres WRF5

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh! That looks like a good match on you! Yay!! :D Anyway you can mix WRF5 and WRF7 to match your summer skintone?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you!
    I was hoping so, but #7 is a bit too red & not enough yellow. In contrast #6 which is way too pink.
    =/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh bummer! Can you perhaps use a different foundation that you own to custom blend your own?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, lol.
    I have way too many, it's part of my illness. =P
    I tend wear my foundations according to mood rather than a need for specific coverage.
    Soo that translates for me into various finishes, textures & types.

    I should take a tally of what I own.
    I know today I ended up buying a GA LSF in #8 I was sold #9 in lasting finish a while back which will be fab come summer, but def not now.

    I almost want to try the silk powder as well....
    Auuuggghhh, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LoL! I never got into foundation. I only own 3. A TM from Korres, Korres WR (and a backup), and Revlon photoready. I usually go with the Korres because for some crazy reason I feel like the Revlon one is "bad" for my skin because it's much heavier of coverage. I love the WR b/c it sinks right in like lotion. Loooves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess I've just about had to due to my various heritage-it's makes it difficult to find a good match with one color from any one line without mixing.
    So I figured if I was due to a life of a search for a good color match, I might as well enjoy it!
    Not to mention, it was good prep for my career, lol.
    =D

    ReplyDelete