Friday, February 26, 2010

Blush Part 1: Cream Blush

I am a blush "aficionado" and today I was thinking of sharing everything I've learned about blush and application over the years.This is just my 2 cents on blush application and it is not the end all be all of how to do this. Everyone is different and each person has methods that work best for them, but I hope this helps someone! :D

This will be divided into two parts:
Part 1: Cream blush
Part 2: NARS Multiples
Part 2: Highly pigmented Powder Blush

Lately I am on a huge cream blush kick, so we will start here. In the past I hated them because I wasn't applying it correctly. So I hope that this will help some of you make that cream blush in your stash work for you or what not.

My Cream Blush Hall of Fame-rs:
(In no particular order. Personal color faves below)

* Bobbi Brown pot rouge -Cabo Coral

*NARS cream blush - Penny Lane

*Stila convertible cream - Petunia

First things first, I don't really like using a brush for cream blushers. I like fingers b/c it helps warm and spread the product. I also feel like I get the smoothest finish using my fingers while a brush leaves me a little streaky, uneven and splotchy. Sometimes I do use my NARS yachiyo brush to apply cream blush, but not often.

Another thing is, depending on the formula/texture of the cream blush, especially if it's on the drier side, I find applying on a freshly moisturized face helps with the blending process. (Or a freshly MAC Fix+ misted face). So here goes! Onto the pictorial!

Starting with a naked face...*eep*

Step 1: Swirl middle and ring fingers in product. You should have a decent amount of product, but be sure not to get over zealous and get too much.


Step 2: Rub opposing fingers together.

Step 3: Dab/stipple onto face starting where you want the color intensity to be the highest working your way back. By the end of this, your fingers should have little to no product left.



Step 4: Blend in with fingers. At this point I like to smile to get a more accurate idea of where to blend the blush. I also like to use my index and middle sometimes for more control and precision.


Step 5: (Optional) Set face with translucent powder or your regular light weight powder. From here you can contour or layer on a powder blush/highlighter/etc.

If you find that you applied too much and the color looks scary bright and clown-ish, you can buff on your regular powder to help tone it down. Make sure the powder isn't too heavy though so you won't end up looking cake-y.


***HINT***If I am using a very pigmented/bright cream blush (ie BB calypso coral) I apply first, then foundation on top. For something softer like NARS Penny lane which is really fool proof on me, I apply on top of my foundation.


and Voila! You're done! Piece of cake right??



2 comments:

  1. Ah, middle and ring fingers makes sense! I tried with pointer and middle, not so great. I'm going to try this next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D Let me know how that works for you!! :D

    ReplyDelete