Friday, February 26, 2010

Blush Part 3: Intensely pigmented Blush

We have finally reached the last installment of my 2 cents on blush --- those amazingly highly pigmented blushers. You know...the ones that are impossible not to over apply. In my opinion, I've never seen a more pigmented blush than some of NARS blushers...Particularly NARS Exhibit A and Taj Mahal. (For swatches/descriptions http://mintedrose.blogspot.com/2010/01/nars-blushersoh-pretties.html#comments)

I find the best way to deal with these suckers is to use a very fluffy brush. The fluffier a brush is, the less amount of product is picked up giving a lighter and more even application. Here are the brushes I use from left to right MAC 188, 131, NARS yachiyo. Please pardon the fact that they are kinda...dirty.


In contrast, the more densely packed a brush is, the better it picks up pigment, thus more product is deposited on your face. These types of brushes are good for those sheer blushers that don't really show up on you.

From left to right, MAC 109, unknown brush, Sue Devitt Baby Cheeks.

But I digress...the type of brush you want is something like a skunk (ie MAC 187, 188, 131) or the NARS Yachiyo type brush. Lately I find myself reaching for the NARS yachiyo over any of my MAC skunks. I feel like I have more control with the yachiyo. Also, I want to mention, you don't want to use something too fluffy like a powder brush because then you can't control your placement.

Step 1: First I dab the brush...NOT swirl onto product.

Step 2: Tap off excess product

Step 3: Tap on back of hand to remove any other excess product from brush

Step 4: Tap lightly or "stipple" onto cheeks starting at apples and slowly blending/stippling backwards.

Step 5: If you still managed to apply too much, as with the previous "how-tos" you can buff over it with your regular powder using a fluffy powder brush.

And done. Perfect gently blushing cheeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment