Sunday, April 25, 2010

Drugstore Perfume - Coty Jovan Musk for Women

As I've mentioned before I'm a huge lover of musks in perfume. I originally thought Musk = dirty armpit or something but I found that musks are actually quite light, clean and fresh in scent, though there are the more animalic musks out there (I haven't tried any though so I don't know). Also musks smell different on everyone and some people cannot smell musk or certain musks. I guess the musk molecules are quite large thus heavy, hence the fact that the sillage is not that strong.

For the longest time I was tempted to try the Jovan Musk that you can find at your corner drugstore for fairly cheap. I finally caved and got mine this past weekend at Jewel-Osco in a 2 fl. 0z size "gift package" for $15.00. I think you might be able to find them on discount perfume sites and ebay for cheaper, but I wanted instant gratification so......


Packaging: The bottle is simple with no particular bells and whistles. It definitely seems cheap, but it's what's on the inside that counts so no big deal. The lid is particularly flimsy which annoys me, but fortunately it seems to snap into place well.

The Juice: Upon initial spritz, it's all alcohol very much like a cheap hair spray, a la aqua net or something. The alcohol/hairspray scent is it's one biggest down fall. I'm am a little annoyed that it smells like this, because if I wanted to smell like this I may as well have picked up a bottle of cheap hair spray for a few bucks. At any rate, once the alcohol/hairspray scent fades, it settles into a lovely clean skin scent with a hint of powder...which makes it well worth the wait. When I say a hint I mean a hint. I personally despise powdery perfume as they are usually headache inducing for me, particularly when mixed with florals.

Not to mention for being such a cheap perfume, the staying power is surprisingly strong! It lasts a good half day if not more on me. Staying power is a huge make or break with me. I hate those perfumes that disappear within an hour, but then again, I guess the fun is in the application. :D

Overall Rating: Overall I give this a 5/5. I think it's worth the $15.00 price tag for a 2 fl. oz bottle, particularly since it had fantastic staying power. It lasts a good half day if not more for me. Even so I will give it a little refresher spritz every so often. It's a lovely everyday, subtle scent. Very work safe in my opinion. A very nice relaxed perfume. I will definitely be re-purchasing when I run out.

No comments:

Post a Comment